Built on the site of a fortress owned by the Da Carrara family who were the lords of Padua, of which the 14th century crenelated tower still stands, Castle San Pelagio passed to the Counts of Zaborra in 1752 who extended it and converted it into a residence befitting the nobility.
The most significant date in its history came on 9 August 1918 when the Serenissima squadron, led by Major Gabriele d’Annunzio, took off for the famous Flight over Vienna, a propaganda mission. The base for the raid was the temporary airstrip created a year before by the Italian Army in the fields around the Villa.
To keep the memory of this event alive, along with the history of all flight, in 1980 the Zaborra family opened the house to the public as the Museum of Flight. A subsequent restoration also led to the opening up of the D’Annunzio Rooms, once the residence of the famous Italian poet and army officer.
The castle is surrounded by 3 hectares of grounds, which are part of the Grandi Giardini Italiani (Great Gardens of Italy) network. Historical aircraft are incorporated into the gardens which also feature ancient trees, mazes, ponds, rose, wisteria and hydrangeas.
Indoor and outdoor spaces are available for experiences, weddings, photo shoots and business events.